Carne Asada & Guajillo Potato Tacos

6 comments

I know I said this blog is not just about mexican food, because I have for you a lot of new recipes that have nothing to do with the mexican cuisine, but lately I've just been missing so much tacos...

In mexican cuisine, 'Carne Asada' is a red meat (usually beef) cooked on a charcoal grill and chopped in little pieces. The original recipe suggests that the meat shall not be too marinated or spiced, so you can really taste the natural beef-charcoal flavor, but there's a lot of people that love to excessively marinate it. Personally, I prefer to season my Carne Asada with a little bit of salt and ground black pepper, so it stays as natural as possible.


'Guajillo Potatoes' (in mexican cuisine known as 'Papitas en Salsa Roja' meaning 'Red Sauce Potatoes') are skinless-cubed potatoes cooked in a guajillo pepper-tomato based sauce. In México they work as a side dish or as a stuff for tacos. 

For this recipe, I used the german version of 'corn tortillas'. Personally, I think they tasted like flour tortillas with yellow food colouring, but I decided to give them a try. I was informed about a mexican provider, close to my city, that sells the original 'Maseca' flour for making my own tortillas. If you don't know, Maseca is the most popular mexican brand of corn flour for tortillas. So if I'm lucky to get them soon, I'll make sure to upload a post of how to make REAL corn tortillas with Maseca.



For my 'Carne Asada' I bought a nice beef steak and cut it into small cubes. Why small cubes? Because I don't like when the pieces are big enough to make swallowing them a struggle. 



Because it's middle of the winter here in Germany, of course it was not possible for me to take the grill outside and make a nice barbecue day in the sun… How much I miss the sun haha … I'm not saying that here we don't have summers, cause we have them and really beautiful ones, but at the moment it's winter season, so this is why I made my 'Carne Asada' on a pan. What's my opinion? If you can make it on a charcoal grill, do it, the meat gets way more juicy and the charcoal gives the meat a different flavor. So, I just seasoned my cubbed meat with salt and ground pepper and straight to the pan with some oil. Make sure to cook it well, so you can get it as brown and grilled as the traditional.



As a topping for my Carne Asada tacos, I chopped some white onion and fresh cilantro and stirred it together with a squeeze of lime. This is the most common way to serve these tacos.



The Guajillo Pepper is a mexican dried pepper with a medium heat. This chili is commonly used in pastes or as a meat seasoning. I like this pepper very much because it brings a really strong (but not spicy) flavor, very traditional in the mexican cuisine and it gives the food a unique red color. 



For the 'Guajillo Potatoes' I used baby yellow potatoes, because they were the ones available in my market, but you can use the type you like. (Except for sweet potatoes).  Then I peeled them, cut them in small/medium sized cubes and cooked them on a boiling pan until tender.



I blended peeled red tomatoes and the seedless-veinless guajillo peppers with some chicken broth and garlic cloves. (You can also grill the guajillo peppers in the pan before you blend them with the tomatoes, but it's not necessary because they'll cook anyway all together on the pan). I placed the mix on a pan and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat, then I added the cooked potatoes and mashed them just a little, making sure to keep the 'chunky' texture.



People here go crazy for Guacamole, they just love it, especially when it's not too spicy… So, I decided to make some as a complement to my tacos, and also just as a previous snack. I was lucky enough to find fresh avocados in the market, they came from Chile and they were great!




I finished my 'Carne Asada' tacos with a spoon of the onion-cilantro mix. For my 'Guajillo Potato' tacos, I cooked on the pan some sweet pepper slices and just added them on top. I putted a lime slice on the side and sprinkled the tacos with salt. 



I hope you give this recipe a try and I also wish you're able to find the guajillo peppers. If you can't find guajillo peppers, you can just blend the tomatoes and add a spoon of red hot sauce for the spicy flavor. It won't taste the same, but it's a pretty good improvisation. Good luck and 'Buen Provecho'.


CARNE ASADA & GUAJILLO POTATO TACOS


Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 big tacos. (4 and 4) or a little extra.


For the Carne Asada

450 to 500 g  Good quality beef
1  tbs salt
1  tbs ground black pepper

For the Guajillo Potatoes

10 to 12  baby yellow potatoes
1  (15-ounce) can of peeled red tomatoes
3 to 4  guajillo peppers
1 cup  chicken broth
2  garlic cloves
1  salt
1  tsp ground black pepper

For the Guacamole

2  medium avocados
1/2  medium onion
1  small tomato
1  jalapeño pepper (without seeds and veins)
2  tsp salt
1  tsp ground black pepper
Cilantro
Lime or lemon

Onion-Cilantro Topping

1/2  medium white onion
Cilantro
1  tsp salt
Lime or lemon

Other ingredients

8  medium/large corn or flour tortillas
Slices of sweet peppers (for flavour or decoration)
Cilantro
Lime or lemon

Preparation

1. Chop the meat in small cubes and season it with the salt and pepper. On an oiled skillet, cook the meat until brown. About 10-15 minutes on medium/high heat.
2. Peal the baby potatoes and cut them in small cubes. Boil them until tender. On a blender, mix the peeled tomatoes, guajillo peppers, garlic cloves, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. On a deep pan with a little bit of oil, pour the mix and cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Add the potato cubes and with a potato masher tool (or a fork) start breaking the cubes, making sure to keep the 'chunky' texture. Never completely mashed.
3. For the Guacamole, mash the avocados with a fork until smooth. Cut the onion, the tomato and the seedless-veinless jalapeño into small sized cubes and add them to the mashed avocados. Stir together and sprinkle with salt, pepper, lime and fresh cilantro.
4. For the Onion-Cilantro topping, chop the onion and the cilantro. Stir them together and sprinkle with salt and lime.
5. On a pan, start heating the tortillas on medium heat, about 1 minute per side. Fill them with the Carne Asada or Guajillo Potatoes. Finish them with the Onion-Cilantro topping and a splash of lime. You can add your favorite salsa.
6. Buen Provecho!
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments:

  1. I also love Guacamole! :D
    Nice, my friend, hope to be cooking like you one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much my friend! Looking forward to cooking together soon :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mariana,
    This sounds verytasty and good. We all like Guacamole -
    have a nice sunday -
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Hanna, thank you for passing by! I hope you enjoy my recipes as much as I do. I send you greetings!! :)

      Delete
  3. Liebe Mariana,
    das hört sich göttlich an, das müssen wir unbedingt einmal gemeinsam kochen! Und deine Photos sehen klasse aus!!! Liebste Grüße, Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Martina,
      so süß, wie immer! Wir werden es bald zusammen kochen!
      Liebe Gruß!!! :)

      Delete