Hummus

2 comments

I could finally make this recipe thanks to my good friend Maria. One day we were sharing ideas about creative vegetarian recipes and I was complaining about how hard was it for me to find tahini here in Germany. So three weeks later she decided to prove me wrong and gave me a bottle... She's such a sweet and cool person. Maria, I know how much you love Hummus, so this recipe is for you my friend... I hope you like it!


So... in case you don't know, tahini is basically a paste of sesame seeds and is used mostly in the Middle Eastern cuisine. Tahini is one of the main ingredients in this recipe.

This bottle you see, is the bottle Maria gave me... and my first time cooking with tahini.


A great tip for a really creamy hummus is to process first the tahini paste itself for 1 minute. Then add the lemon juice and process for 30 seconds. Believe me, you don't want to miss this step, it will define the creaminess of the texture.


Let's talk about the garbanzo beans. Like I've said before, when I did the Falafel recipe, you have two options: canned garbanzos or dried ones. I always go with the canned ones because they're easier to get and more practical. But remember, you have to be patient when peeling the garbanzos. It's really an important step, especially when you want your hummus to be smooth and creamy.


After the tahini is smooth, start adding the garbanzos slowly and in small portions. Process for 30 seconds in between each portion until completely incorporated. Remember to add the water meanwhile the mix is processing. This will prevent the mixture from getting dry or too thick. 


When the tahini and the garbanzo beans are processed, the mix should look like this:


When it's done, transfer from the processor to a nice bowl and drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle some ground paprika or chilli for decoration.


I hope you liked this recipe and give it a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!


HUMMUS

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Servings: One bowl

Ingredients

1 (15oz/425g) can  garbanzo beans
1/4 cup  freshly pressed lemon juice
1/4 cup  tahini
1/4 cup  olive oil
1  garlic clove
1 tsp  ground cumin 
1/2 to 1 tsp  salt
1/2 tsp  ground black pepper
2 to 3 tbsp water
Ground paprika for decoration

Preparation

1. Add the tahini in a food processor and mix for 1 minute. With a spatula, scrape sides of bowl and add the lemon juice, then process for 30 seconds. 
2. Mince garlic clove. Add minced garlic, cumin, salt, ground black pepper and olive oil to the tahini mixture, then process for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl and process again.
3. Start incorporating the garbanzo beans slowly and in small portions. Process for 30 seconds in between each portion. Meanwhile the mix is processing, add the water.
4. Transfer from processor to a bowl and drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with ground paprika or chilli for decoration.
5. Enjoy!



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Mariana,
    Wir lieben Humus und es ist schwer am Land guten zu finden. Jetzt werde ich versuchen ihn nach Deinem Rezept zu machen, danke und liebe Grüße
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Mariana,
    das liest sich wieder mal sowas von lecker, bringst du morgen ein Probierhäppchen mit?
    Liebste Grüße von Martina

    ReplyDelete