Thai Red Curry

3 comments
Curries get me always inspired, there are just too many possibilities. Either vegetarian or with meat, spicy or mild, they're a great alternative for a light and easy meal.

The best curry I've ever had? Vegan Green Curry. Yes, VEGAN! See, my friend Maria started as a vegetarian and now she's more on 'the vegan side', which is great because I get to learn new recipes (and also eat them). At first I was a little skeptical about vegan food, but after I really knew what to eat vegan was (thanks to her), I understood how creative, funny and delicious it can be. Anyway, I adapted this recipe from Maria's and of course I got this delicious curry paste from her :)


So, let's get started! For the vegetables, use the ones you love the most. I usually choose veggies that don't take so long to cook, but when I feel like making this recipe vegetarian, I make sure to use at least one type of hearty vegetables, such as potatoes or carrots, to make it a full meal. If you're not so much into 'the veggie side', just add your favorite meat.


This recipe calls for coconut milk. Now, this milk is not the one you find in your supermarket's organic section, next to the almond, rice and soy milk. This coconut milk is especially for cooking and it will probably be in the Asian Foods section.

The curry paste you'll probably also get it in your supermarket's Asian foods section or in an Asian Market. I got mine from my friend Maria, but I'm pretty sure she got it in a Special Foods shop. I used some Sambal Oelek to spice it up a little more.

You can't just have a curry without Basmati rice. I love the extra-long-thin grains and its soft flavor. Here in Germany Basmati is really common to find, but I had a hard time trying to get it in México. I hope you have acces to it, and if not then try using any extra long-grain rice.

 I started by cleaning and cutting my veggies into little cubes...

Then slowly add your curry paste into an oiled hot pot and cook for about 3 minutes.

Add your coconut milk and cook at medium-high until simmer. Add your vegetables.

Meanwhile, start boiling your rice. Do not season it, that's the beautiful thing about it. The curry is already pretty strong and full of condiments and the pure and neutral flavor of the rice will give this nice break in between spices.

 
Cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened a little bit. The longer it cooks, the more consistency your sauce will have, but be careful not to overcook. You could really ruin your curry if you get soggy and extremely soft veggies!


Serve your curry hot next to a generous spoon of fluffly rice and top it with fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro. You can also add a drizzle of hot sauce or yogurt.

I promise it was a great dish, very fresh and light. I'm pretty sure if you'll give it a try you'll enjoy it as much as I did. If you do so, tell me how this recipe worked for you! ;)



THAI RED CURRY

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4

For the curry:

1  broccoli head 
2  carrots
1  potato 
1  eggplant
1  bell pepper
1/2  fresh ginger 
*You can use the veggies you like, I wrote mine as a reference.
1 pkg Thai Red curry
1 tsp  Sambal Oelek (optional)
2 cans  coconut milk (for cooking)
2 tbsp  olive oil
Fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro for garnishing

For the rice:

2 cups  Basmati rice
4 cups  water

Preparation:

1. Clean and cut vegetables into little cubes. Reserve.
2. In a hot oiled pot add the curry paste and cook for 3 minutes. Pour the coconut milk and cook until simmer. Add Sambal Oelek (optional).
3. Add vegetables to the sauce and cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce has slightly thickened.
4. Meanwhile boil rice in a pot with water. When done, drain and whisk it softly with a fork to make it fluffy. Reserve.
5. Serve the curry hot next to a generous spoon of rice. You can drizzle some hot sauce or yogurt on top. Garnish with fresh herbs.
6. Enjoy!



Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

3 comments:

  1. Liebe Mariana,
    Meine Kinder werden es mit Begeisterung essen -
    liebe Grüße
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Mariana.
    das liest sich sehr lecker und ist sicher super gesund ;-) Beides könnten wir jetzt sehr gut gebrauchen, denn hier sind alle krank :-( Liebste Grüße von deiner Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Mariana,
    Ein tolles Rezept! Kommt auf meine Liste : Rezept zum Nachkochen
    Liebe Grüße
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete